Environmental Programs supports departments across the University in meeting their environmental obligations as prescribed by UBC Policy #6 – Environmental Protection Compliance and UBC Policy #9 – Hazardous Materials Management. Environmental Programs provides departments, faculty and staff with regulatory and technical guidance to:
1. Minimize the environmental impact of their operations.
2. Mitigate environmental risks.
3. Prevent and control spills and releases to the environment
RMS compiles and submits environmental compliance reports to various agencies at the district, provincial and federal level.
Currently, Environmental Programs focuses on six key areas:
- Spill Reporting
- Hazardous Materials Management
- Green Research
- Contaminated Site Procedures
- National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI)
In addition to these core activities, RMS will provide regulatory oversight and support to storm water pollution prevention and hazardous materials storage tank programs.